Thankfully, yes, there are. Although there is no cure for the flu since it’s a virus that will need to run its course, there are things you can do at home to reduce the severity of flu-related symptoms.
Our AFC Urgent Care Hixson team provides some helpful info on the flu and its home treatments below, so keep reading!
Can I Treat the Flu at Home?
Sadly, the flu spreads every year. Despite your best efforts to wash your hands frequently, it’s still possible to get the virus. Since the flu is caused by influenza viruses, it can’t be cured and will need to run its course.
The flu will usually live in the respiratory system between seven and 14 days, but home remedies such as rest and fluids can help lessen the severity of the virus. If you experience any of the symptoms we’ve listed below, you likely have the flu.
Common Flu Symptoms
- Aches and pains throughout the body
- Sore throat
- An extreme feeling of fatigue
- A persistent and worsening cough
- Stuffy or runny nose
How Can I Treat My Fever?
There are lots of home remedies that can help lower a fever, which we’ve listed in the section below.
Before we do that, did you know? Although a fever is uncomfortable to experience, it’s actually the body’s way of providing protection, as the rise in body temperature makes it more inhospitable for a virus or illness to thrive. So, next time you experience a fever, thank your body for preventing you from becoming even more ill!
Ways to Treat a Flu-Related Fever
- Stay in bed and get plenty of rest.
- Keep hydrated! Drinking lots of water, tea and diluted fruit juices can help to replenish lost fluids.
- Take OTC medications like acetaminophen and ibuprofen. Stick to the proper dosage on the bottle, and don’t them use alongside other fever-reducing medications.
- Stay cool. Remove extra layers of clothing and blankets, unless you have the chills.
Feeling rough? Our AFC Urgent Care Hixson team is here for you now and always! Don’t hesitate to stop by today.