Are you still working on making your resolutions for 2020? Chances are many items on your list have to do with living a healthy lifestyle, which includes eating right and getting enough quality sleep.
Our team at AFC Urgent Care Hixson wants to help you not just make your resolutions but also achieve them this year. Let’s take a look at ways you can improve your eating habits, as well as get a good night’s sleep on a regular basis.
What Does It Mean to Eat Healthy?
When it comes to a healthy diet, there’s no one-size-fits-all version. But there are some basic guidelines to help you ensure you’re getting the nutrients you need.
Aim to fill your plate with a combination of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and a small amount of healthy fat. Depending on your individual diet, you can include either meat-based lean proteins or non-meat proteins.
Other Healthy Eating Tips
- Consume more fatty fish, which contain omega-3 fatty acids.
- Cut down on saturated fat and added sugar.
- Reduce your salt intake.
- Stay hydrated by sipping on water throughout the day.
Why Do I Need to Make Sure I Get Enough Sleep?
For a number of reasons, actually! When you don’t get enough quality sleep, you are more susceptible to viruses and other illnesses, at an increased risk of gaining weight, and at an increased risk of many medical conditions, including heart disease.
On the other hand, people who do get enough sleep can benefit from a better performance at school or work the following day, along with many other positive impacts on physical and mental health.
How to Get Enough Sleep
- Wake up at roughly the same time every morning.
- Go to bed at roughly the same time every night.
- Take a warm bath shortly before bedtime.
- Play soft music before bedtime.
- Avoid caffeine in the afternoon and evening hours.
- Cut off electronics at least an hour before bed.
- Keep the bedroom cool and dark.
If you’re looking to improve your health in 2020, a checkup is a good first step! Visit AFC Urgent Care Hixson today—no appointment is needed.