Sleep is important all the time, but since the second week of March is Sleep Awareness Week, it seems like the perfect time to talk about the topic!
Around 70% of Americans report not getting the sleep they need at least once in a given month. That’s why our team at AFC Urgent Care Hixson wants to take a look at how much sleep you need and how you can get it.
How Much Sleep Do You Really Need?
There’s no one-size-fits-all answer when it comes to sleep. But most adults need between seven and nine hours of quality sleep each night for optimal health.
Adults age 60 and older may be fine with slightly less sleep, aiming for seven to eight hours each night. Teens and kids, on the other hand, need more sleep since their bodies are developing and growing.
Benefits of Sleep
- Increased productivity and concentration
- Better weight management
- Improved athletic performance
- Better heart health
- Greater social and emotional intelligence
- Decreased risk of depression
- Lowered inflammation
- Boost in immune system
How Can I Get Better Sleep?
So, now you know why you need to get enough quality sleep, but how can you actually help yourself get it? Practicing good sleep hygiene is an important piece of the puzzle.
Not sure what sleep hygiene is? Well, it’s basically a set of healthy practices that are known to promote falling asleep and staying asleep.
Tips to Get a Good Night’s Sleep
- Go to bed and get up at the same time every day—even on weekends.
- Sleep in a dark, quiet, cool environment.
- Exercise daily, but not late in the day.
- Avoid electronics in the hour or two before bedtime.
- Enjoy a warm bath or a book before bedtime.
- Do not have caffeine late at night.
Think your difficulties sleeping may be due to an underlying health issue? Visit AFC Urgent Care Hixson today for a wellness check—no appointment is needed.