Did you know that more than 100 million people living in the United States have been diagnosed with diabetes or prediabetes? Our team at AFC Urgent Care Hixson wants you to be aware of the warning signs of diabetes, as well as how you can better manage your condition if you’ve been diagnosed.
What Symptoms Does Diabetes Have?
With diabetes, symptoms occur when your blood sugar has been elevated for a length of time. If you have elevated blood sugar, you may experience a wide range of symptoms, including increased (and seemingly unquenchable) thirst, extreme fatigue, unusual weight gain or loss, increased urination, or blurry vision.
Fortunately, there are steps you can take to lower your risk of developing the disease. Most involve creating basic healthy lifestyle habits.
How to Lower Your Risk of Diabetes
- Get to—and maintain—a healthy weight.
- Eat a well-balanced diet filled with fruits and veggies.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Exercise regularly for at least 30 minutes on most days of the week.
- Find effective ways to manage stress.
- Get plenty of quality sleep.
What Can I Do If I Have Diabetes?
If you’ve already been diagnosed with diabetes, practicing healthy lifestyle habits is key to managing your condition. You’ll also want to have regular checkups with your doctor to ensure your blood sugar levels are staying in an appropriate range.
Ways to Manage Diabetes
- Keep an exercise schedule.
- Know your numbers.
- Check your blood sugar level as directed by a doctor.
- Stay hydrated.
- Take medications as directed.
- Adjust your diabetes treatment plan as needed.
Think your symptoms may be a sign of diabetes? Stop by AFC Urgent Care Hixson today for a medical evaluation.