COVID-19 rates have been spiking in Hamilton County this winter. While necessary health-safety precautions are effective in slowing the spread of the virus, they still don’t eliminate your risk of getting sick.
If you do happen to fall ill and test positive for the coronavirus, it’s normal to feel nervous about what to do next. Don’t worry, though, as our team at AFC Urgent Care Hixson is here to help! Read on as we help alleviate some of those panicky feelings.
How Serious Is the Coronavirus?
As of right now, 1 in 1,000 people in the United States have died from COVID-19. That adds up to more than 350,000 Americans since the pandemic begins, and millions have been affected.
It is important to note, though, that many people who have COVID-19 develop only mild symptoms that can be treated at home. Still, your best plan is to prevent the illness in the first place. There are ways you can limit your risk of getting sick, and we’ve listed those below.
Ways to Reduce COVID-19 Risk
- Avoid large gatherings.
- Avoid close contact with others who aren’t in your immediate household.
- Wear a face mask over your nose and mouth in public.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
What Should I Do Next If I Get Sick?
It’s important to allow yourself to rest as much as you can. COVID-19’s symptoms are different for everyone, and that is why this virus can be so scary.
Unless you experience serious symptoms like severe shortness of breath or low blood pressure, however, you don’t need to do anything drastic to recover from the coronavirus. We’ve listed some additional easy ways to recover from the virus below.
Ways to Recover From COVID-19
- Drink plenty of water.
- Get lots of sleep.
- Take over-the-counter medications, such as acetaminophen, when needed.
- As much as possible, stay in a specific room and away from other people and pets in your home.
- Avoid alcohol and processed sugars and foods.
- If possible, use a separate bathroom in the home.
If you do find yourself getting sick this year, AFC Urgent Care Hixson is here to help you feel better! As always, don’t hesitate to visit us if you have any general health concerns.