With the coronavirus pandemic still lingering indefinitely, taking necessary health precautions is still a must. Many scientists and experts alike have driven home the importance of wearing masks in public, but why?
If you are still confused as to why masks are important or what their significance is, read on as our team at AFC Urgent Care Hixson provides some helpful information on masks and their importance.
Do Masks Really Help?
Yes, and the best evidence that supports this answer has come from real-life scenarios. A recent study published in Health Affairs, for example, compared the COVID-19 growth rate before and after mask mandates in 15 states and the District of Columbia.
It showed some encouraging statistics. The first five days after a mandate, the daily growth rate slowed by 0.9% compared to the five days before the mandate, and at three weeks, the daily growth rate had slowed by 2%. In short, masks really do help slow the spread of COVID-19.
Other Helpful Coronavirus Precautions
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water.
- When soap and water aren’t available, use hand sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol.
- Stay six feet apart from others in public places.
- Limit time in large groups.
Is There Anyone That Shouldn’t Wear a Mask?
There are very few exceptions to the recommendation to wear a mask. Evidence shows that masks do not limit oxygen intake and are OK for the vast majority of people. Masks are not recommended for kids younger than age 2.
All others, however, should wear a mask. Even if masks feel uncomfortable and/or inconvenient, masking up now gives us a better chance at not having to mask up in the future. The sooner we take the necessary health precautions, the better chance we have of getting rid of this awful virus.
More Reasons to Wear a Mask
- To keep yourself well
- To ensure the health of those around you
- To protect pregnant women, the elderly, and those with pre-existing health conditions
- For healthcare workers and first responders. The medical system is overloaded with COVID-19 cases right now, so masking up will help lighten their load and keep people out of the hospital.
Remember to mask up! If you are feeling under the weather, feel free to visit us at AFC Urgent Care Hixson.